Friday, July 6, 2007

Why Insufficient?

For those of you wondering, I figured that I should talk about why I named my blog "insufficient."

Throughout my life, I can see that I'm kind of a loner. I'm usually not dependent upon other people. I like to put things together by myself, without directions, I like to work by myself, I like to drive by myself, I like to live by myself from time to time, and overall, I just like to do things by myself.

More often than not, I feel like I can do things without God's help. From simple things, like driving to work, or to more complex things, like mending together a broken relationship, I always catch myself trying to be self sufficient. I tend to feel like I don't need any ones help, and anyone who tries to help just gets in my way, or just slows me down. I tend to look at myself as self sufficient. I don't need anybody to make it though this world!

But when it all comes down to it, I am insufficient. As much as I may like to do things by myself, or as good as I get doing things by myself, I can never do enough to be sufficient in God's eyes. Because of my sin, I fail to live up to the standard of God's holiness.

But in 2 Corinthians 3:5, it says, "Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God." This means that anything that we may do that is good, we can't say "Yeah, I did this by myself. Give me the glory!" Anything that is good comes from the Lord. It also says that our sufficiency comes from God. When Christ came to Earth, lived a perfect life, and died on that cross, he became our sin, and when we believe in Him, we put on His righteousness! So even though we may be insufficient by ourselves, we are made sufficient to God though Christ.

This is what I need reminded of everyday. I am not enough. I can't live this life alone. And everyday, I receive God's mercy when I start feeling like "big stuff." Sometimes He has to show me that I'm not the center of the universe in ways stronger than others, but He always has a plan for what He does, and that's sufficient enough for me.

No comments: